Note: If you want to install the 10.12 version, you will need to patch the kernel module of ATI Catalyst using this patch for 2.6.37.x or this patch for 2.6.36.x. You don't need to this patch if you are using 2.6.35.x. Also, the 11.x version of ATI Catalyst doesn't need this patch.
How to install & patch:
- Download the 10.12 version from here.
- From console (run in text mode, make sure to this as root and the installer are executable), enter the directory where the installer is then run: ./ati-driver-installer-10-12-x86.x86_64.run --install
- Follow the instructions.
- When done, enter to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/
- copy the patch to this directory then run: patch -p0 < fglrx_10.10-12_with_2.6.XX.x.diff (note that XX is 36 or 37, depends on your kernel version).
- run: ./make.sh
- if there is no error, go up to one level (/lib/modules/fglrx/) then do: ./make_install.sh
- reboot your system
- use aticonfig --initial to create /etc/X11/xorg.conf then make necessary changes on it. My suggestion, it's better if you move and rename that xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/fglrx.conf
- start your x server