Note for English Readers

If I write the articles in Indonesian, I will write a summary in English so that you can read my articles too. After you read the summary and you feel that you need more information about that, please do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail that can be found in my profile.

Thank you for reading my blogs.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Disabling Nepomuk and Akonadi

After upgrading to KDE-4.7.0, I feel that Nepomuk and Akonadi are very annoying. I always get notification about Nepomuk and some messages about Akonadi when I quit from KDE. Since I don't use Desktop Search and KMail anymore, I have decided to turn Nepomuk and Akonadi off.

Disabling Nepomuk
I follow these steps to disable Nepomuk:
  • Go to System Settings --> Workspace Appearance and Behavior --> Desktop Search
  • Untick "Enable Strigi Desktop File Indexer" and "Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop" under Basic Setting Tab
  • Choose "Ignore all removable media" on Removable media handling and also make sure all folders are left unticked in "Customize index folders ..." under Desktop Query Tab
  • Select "Disable Automatic Backups" on Backup frequency under Backup Tab
  • Go to System Settings --> Common Appearance and Behavior --> Application and System Notifications --> Manage Notifications
  • Under Applications Tab, select "Desktop Search" on Event source and make sure all states are empty
  • Do the same for "Nepomuk file watch service" and "Semantic Desktop" on Event source
  • Quit System Settings

Disabling Akonadi
For disabling Akonadi, open the terminal then enter the directory ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc and set the value of "StartServer" on [QMYSQL] to false.
[QMYSQL] 
... 
StartServer=false

After finishing all steps described above, restart the KDE. Nepomuk and Akonadi have been disabled.

Note: I configure my System Settings to Classic Tree View (see picture below).


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

All done, thanks, Hope it solves me a lots of problem.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Right on, Henry!

Henry (yup, that's my name:-)

joel said...

The location for Akonadi seems to have changed in KDE 4.

Unknown said...

Thx!

Anonymous said...

Very helpful. This has been frustrating me for a long time.