Note for English Readers

If I write the articles in Indonesian, I will write a summary in English so that you can read my articles too. After you read the summary and you feel that you need more information about that, please do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail that can be found in my profile.

Thank you for reading my blogs.

Sunday, December 28, 2014

AMD Catalyst Omega 14.501.1003 (14.12) for kernel 3.18.x

Finally, I had time to upgrade my laptop to the latest of slackware64-current, kernel 3.18.1, and AMD Catalyst Omega 14.501.1003 or 14.12. When upgrading to the newest AMD Catalyst Omega, I have got error message after compiling fglrx module. As usual, I checked my favorite reference, that is, Arch User Repository (AUR) for the patch. I modified the patch so that only one patch file is needed. You can download the patch from my Google Drive. You can follow the guidelines below to patch the fglrx module:
  • change directory to the path where the installer is
  • run the installer as root (superuser):
    # ./amd-driver-installer-14.501.1003-x86.x86_64.run
  • follow the instructions, at the end of installation process you will get notice that there are some errors.
  • exit the installer
  • at console, copy the patch file (fglrx-14.12_kernel-3.18.x.patch) to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/
  • change directory to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/
  • patch the fglrx source:
    # patch -p0 < fglrx-14.12_kernel-3.18.x.patch
  • compile the fglrx modules:
    # ./make.sh
    # cd ..
    # ./make_install.sh
  • reboot.
Enjoy your AMD Catalyst-14.501.1003 or 14.12 running on linux kernel 3.18.x.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I get the following error when I try to patch and execute ./make.sh

http://paste.ubuntu.com/9679016/

Unknown said...

Have you exactly follow the guidelines? You missed the libfglrx_ip.a. You have to run the installer first before patching and recompiling the fglrx module.

Unknown said...

I was not able to locate the directory you have mentioned. So I extracted the ./amd.run file and found a build_mod folder inside. Then I patched and ran ./make.sh

Unknown said...

You have to run installer first, not just extracting the packages.

Unknown said...

Thanks alot for this handy patch!

LABREC said...

Could you help me with my results?

http://pastebin.com/zt8Yqyng

Unknown said...

[daniel@pc build_mod] $ # patch -p0 < fglrx-14.12_kernel-3.18.x.patch

You must omit the '#', change it to "sudo patch -p0 < fglrx-14.12_kernel-3.18.x.patch"

Unknown said...

I had the same problem as Ayush. It's also described here:
https://github.com/kolasa/fglrx-8.97.100.7/issues/1

The issue is on Ubuntu that the file has been built into an architecture-specific folder.

To fix it on Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64, I:
cp ./arch/x86_64/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/libfglrx_ip.a ./common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod

Then ./make.sh and ./make_install.sh ran as expected.

Thanks for the handy patch!

Unknown said...

Hi Charles, thanks for helping Ayush. I could not help more on his problem since I don't use Ubuntu.

Anonymous said...

Hello.

I'm wondering which package generation should I choose at the installation/setup process? I'm running Fedora 21. If I execute --listpkg option I see multiple Fedora packages to choose from, but I am not sure any of them are suitable for Fredora 21

Thanks for any of your help.

Elu said...

Used this on Fedora 21 with kernel 3.18.7, worked great thanks

Anonymous said...

I have problem, when i un the installer as root ihave message permissiondenied.


# ./amd-catalyst-omega-14.12-linux-run-installers.zip

bash: ./amd-catalyst-omega-14.12-linux-run-installers.zip: Permission denied

Please help...

Unknown said...

Is there a way to patch before installing? i'm running kali 3.18 and can't install the driver it is telling me no supported device found...

Unknown said...

Hi, you wrote:
bash: ./amd-catalyst-omega-14.12-linux-run-installers.zip: Permission denied
...

You have to extract the file then run "amd-driver-installer-14.501.1003-x86.x86_64.run".

Unknown said...

Hi Vlad, 14.12 only supports Radeon™ R9 200, R7 200, HD 7000, HD 6000, and HD 5000 Series. You can check at http://support.amd.com/en-us/download