Note for English Readers

If I write the articles in Indonesian, I will write a summary in English so that you can read my articles too. After you read the summary and you feel that you need more information about that, please do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail that can be found in my profile.

Thank you for reading my blogs.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Linux Kernel 3.0.1 & ATI Catalyst

Since yesterday, I have tried to run the Linux kernel 3.0.1 on my laptop; everything is good, no problem so far. Next step, I tested the ATI Catalyst 11.7, without patching. After installation, everything is running well including fglrx kernel module and the driver for x server. However, I still have the "old" problem that always occurs when I install ATI Catalyst 11.x, that is, I cannot activate OpenGLOverlay so that the Desktop Effects (compiz) cannot be launched. Therefore, any version of 11.x can be installed as long as the OpenGLOverlay is disabled (see the option below).
Section "Device"
        [...]
        Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
        [...]
EndSection
Now, I am using ATI Catalyst 10.12  with OpenGLOverlay enabled (see the option below) so that I can activate the Desktop Effects since this version does not have problem with OpenGLOverlay. Of course, I have to patch it first. I use the patch that I have written about two months ago (here). So far so good, I can activate the Desktop Effects again.
Section "Device"
        [...]
        Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "on"
        [...]
EndSection

Linux Kernel 3.0.1 and ATI Catalyst 10.12:


My note: Although I have problem with Desktop Effects when I use ATI Catalyst 11.7, My colleague, Widya Walesa, can activate the Desktop Effects when using 11.7; you can read it on his blog. I still don't know what the cause of my problem is.

Note: for my other posts about ATI Catalyst, go to this link. You may need to read it.

No comments: